Networker

[Networker] Seeking feedback on an upgrade plan.

2002-11-15 14:13:41
Subject: [Networker] Seeking feedback on an upgrade plan.
From: Paul Crossman <pcrossma AT WILDFIRE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:13:35 -0500
I'm in the process of performing/upgrading various things in my
Networker infrastructure.

        - Replacing tape library
        - Installing a Linux Storage Node
        - Upgrading from a WinNT backup server to a Win2k backup server

The hardest stumbling block for me is the upgrade to the Win2k backup
server.

- My current Server is a Compaq DL380 running WinNT SP6a.
- I have a Compaq DL380G2 that I'm potentially going to make the Linux
  Storage Node
- However, after calling Compaq/HP and asking about preserving the NT
  data on my current server and installing win2k on different disks and
  swapping them in and out, HP tells me that it's not supported and I
  could lose data because of the system partitions being different.

What I'm thinking of doing is this.

        - Install the DL380G2 as the win2k backup server
        - Get it working in my current config
        - Install the old DL380 with Linux and make it the Storage Node
        - Migrate to the new tape library.

Are there any gotchas I should look out for?  Losing indexes and things
like that?  We've recently gone through some DNS changes here where
we're eliminating an internal DNS domain that the backup server happens
to be on.  I would like to place the new backup server in the new DNS
domain.

Thoughts?

Paul C.

--