Networker

[Networker] Networker not scheduling some groups/clients

2002-11-07 12:56:29
Subject: [Networker] Networker not scheduling some groups/clients
From: "Moehlman, Mike" <mmoehlman AT TXI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 11:46:20 -0600
Networker 6.1.2 - server edition (Sun branded Solstice backup)
Solaris 8, E220R (single cpu), L1000 jukebox with 2 DLT 7000 drives
1 client per group, 37 clients definitions and 40 clients licensed
Full backups schedule each business day (M-F)

After some careful checking, we have recently discovered that Legato is not
scheduling some groups/clients for backups.  There is no trace that it even
tries - not even the "starting group_name (with 1 client(s))" message in the
/nsr/logs/messages file.  No emails - good, bad or indifferent (this is bad
because we have relied on the emails to detect what failed).  If you look at
the gui (nwadmin> group control screen), it plainly shows that the last run was
2 days prior - not the previous night's date as it should be.

Within the past week, we have noticed 6 different groups/clients that were not
scheduled for processing over 4 different days (1 or 2 per day).  Other backups
are active at the time the group/client was "scheduled" to start.  The
group/client that was not scheduled appears to be random.  I can not recognize
a pattern yet for which client or which day that it will "not schedule"
something.  So far, the "missed" clients complete successfully the following
night.

Sun support suggested an L5/6 check on the client indexes.  Ran clean
Suggested we recreate the problem client's indexes.  Renamed the whole index
directory and let it create new ones for all of the clients.
Not going anywhere fast at this point.

Has anyone seen a similar problem?  Suggestions for resolving?