Networker

Re: [Networker] Legato Technical Bulletins...

2002-10-31 16:20:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Legato Technical Bulletins...
From: pt_work <kizzmit66 AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:20:07 -0500
Hi Shelley,

Actually, bulletin 377 does cover your situation.

"Starting with NetWorker release 6.0, the generation of host IDs on a
Windows computer is based on the computer?s SID rather than on the IP
address. One reason for the change is because a SID-based host ID changes
only when one of the following situations occurs:

The computer leaves one domain and joins another domain.

The Windows operating system is reinstalled. "

I suppose that changing your domain would be equivalent to leaving one and
joining another one.  The bulletin does talk about a workaround that would
seem to make it where you don't have to get new licenses after all, so if
that is not the bulletin you were using, you may want to check it out.

Now, I agree that the title of the bulletin "How Host IDs Change on a
Microsoft® Windows® Computer" would make it difficult to guess that if you
are changing your domain name that you should check out this bulletin.

I wonder if their new and improved knowledge base would make this easier to
find?  I don't have access to it.

Cheers
pt

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:47:04 -0800, Shelley L. Shostak <sls AT QSTECH DOT COM>
wrote:

>I really wish Legato would spend a week and update their Technical
Bulletins.