Networker

[Networker] Staging in Networker

2002-10-31 13:25:19
Subject: [Networker] Staging in Networker
From: Glenn Britton <britton AT NOC.UTORONTO DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:25:00 -0500
Calvin,
I am interested in your points #3 and #6.  I opened a case with
Legato Tech. Support in December 2000 (case #2053912) and
they concluded that staging policies could not handle savesets
which spanned file devices.  I was running Networker 6.0.1 build 174
on Solaris 6 or 7 at the time and had two partitions on separate spindles
 and two Networker file devices as you describe, but any saveset that
spanned 2  file devices was never staged to tape.
nsrstage uses nsrclone, and cloning savesets
that spanned tapes never seems to be a problem for us.
The man page for nsrclone in the EXAMPLES section states:
"Only complete savesets can be copied by nsrclone".

The explanation I was given was that staging was somehow marking savesets
as incomplete if they spanned file devices and that staging was
not designed for the way I wanted to implement it.   :(

It would be great if this limitation has been fixed since 6.0.1 or
if Legato Technical Support gave me an incomplete explanation 2 years
ago.

Glenn Britton
University Of Toronto
Computing and Networking Services