Networker

[Networker] NetApp NDMP backup session benchmarks

2002-10-30 04:15:53
Subject: [Networker] NetApp NDMP backup session benchmarks
From: "Broughton, Paul PM SITI-IT-DIETS" <Paul.Broughton AT SHELL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:05:49 +0100
Fellow Members,

We are looking at upgrading our backup environment having added a couple of
NetApps F880 filers with +/-10TB of data recently.  We already have a SAN
storage island, so are looking at SAN attaching a STK L700E jukebox (housing
either LTO drives or possibly 9940B drives), and linking the NetApp filers to
the SAN also, thus allowing us to associate drives with Filers as needed.
Initially, we then expect to use Legato to control NDMP sessions to enable the
dump of the NetApp volumes to tape.

My question is whether their are other Networkers who have similar conceptual
solutions who can give an idea of the read/write throughputs we could expect
for a single NDMP session, and what limitations/drawbacks there are when using
NDMP.

Any experiences welcomed,

Best regards,

Paul Broughton