Networker

Re: [Networker] expansion plans

2002-10-24 10:58:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] expansion plans
From: Sumash Singh <sumashs AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:01:45 +0200
Steve

Perhaps a good idea is to look at using a combination of Legato NetWorker as
you normal approach to backup, and also use NetWorker Laptop, to backup
laptops and perhaps even desktop pc's. In fairness I have not seen too many
customers here backing up 3000 desktops/laptops. Maybe the cost of 3000
client connection licenses will be too overwhelming and rather using Laptop
to backup desktops and laptops might be the better route to go. For one
thing, laptop will not backup common files that are the same on all
desktops/laptops like system32 files on winnt. What I mean is that if the
same files are found on 2000 machines, then laptop puts in a
placeholder/pointer and does not backup that file 2000 times. You will need
an SQL server though, oops licenses for SQL???? You may choose to backup the
SQL DB using the Networker module though.

This is just my opinion; in any case you have some serious planning to do.
Does anyone have any more ideas??

Regards

Sumash