Networker

Re: [Networker] Client failure notification

2002-10-22 04:35:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Client failure notification
From: Chris Madden <maddenca AT MYREALBOX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:35:28 +0200
I believe you have two more paths to investigate:
1) Script something that parses daemon.log for entries that indicate saveset
failures and alert on it.
2) Within the nsr group resource there is a hidden attribute called
completion that gives information about completed savesets (including
success/failure info) for a given savegroup that is updated throughout the
run of the savegroup.  Again, in this case you could script something that
uses nsradmin to query for running savegroups and then parse the completion
attribute and alert on failures found.

You can also combat this issue of more timely feedback a different way by:
1) Creating smaller savegroups; perhaps something like Daily_1800,
Daily_1900, Daily_2000, etc, for each hour and then put just a handful of
clients in each.  These groups will run much faster and you'll get more
timely feedback.
2) Create a 2nd group called something like Daily_Slow and put the slower,
problem prone clients in it.  Chances are you have one or more clients that
consistently have problems and pulling them aside will decrease the ability
for their problems to affect the group at large.

Good luck!

-Chris