Networker

Re: [Networker] Server doesn't find a volume that is in a drive

2002-10-21 14:44:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Server doesn't find a volume that is in a drive
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:44:40 -0400
On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:32:06 +0200, =?iso-8859-2?Q?Hegedus_Gy=F6rgy?=
<hegedusgy AT MEGATREND DOT HU> wrote:

>NetWorker server: WinNT
>SAN environment
>Autochanger consists of three CompaqSSL: 6 drives, 57 slots
>WinNT and Solaris storage nodes
>There is a drive assigned to each storage nodes
>
>Sometimes the NetWorker server wants to load the volume into a drive, which
>volume is loaded in another one. But that volume and drive are not used.
And
>server doesn't get wise to a fact, it doesn't find the volume.. So the
>backup is hanging. If I reset the autochanger from the NetWorker consol,
all
>the volumes are unloaded, then the server finds the volume and the backup
is
>going on.
>
>Is there any idea?

This is what the "idle device timeout" is for. Set this to a small number
of minutes so that the drive will be unloaded soon after NetWorker has
finished using it.

I think Legato could have implemented this better, you would expect
NetWorker to be clever enough to unload it from another drive when it is
required. Perhaps they will improve this in a future version.