Networker

[Networker] UPDATE:Re: [Networker] What is the best way to backup 100,000 files in a single subdirectory on a W2K Client

2002-10-16 03:25:27
Subject: [Networker] UPDATE:Re: [Networker] What is the best way to backup 100,000 files in a single subdirectory on a W2K Client
From: Calvin Thomas <calvin.thomas AT NACALOGISTICS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 00:28:09 -0700
My problem isn't with the save streams that start...  They are running at
1/2 the speed of my DLT4000 anyway.
As far as defragmenting the file system, this is a fax server that replaces
these 100,000 file in 5 days.  It is a good thought but I don't think it
would help much because the real problem is with the save streams that don't
start.

I have an update on this part of the problem:

I started a save session of the subdirectory from the command line on the
client, and opened task manager to watch save.exe perform.  It has been 10
hours since I started the save session, and it is still cranking away as I
write this.  So far, in 10 hours it has accessed the disk drive (I/O Reads)
46,486 times, using 50% processor time, and shows no sign of slowing up.  I
figure that the client is accessing the disk one time for each file it will
be backing up. The speed seems to be about 1 file access per second, so that
means 100,000 files = 100,000 seconds, or 27 hours.
Kind of a long time to start a backup session........
I guess this means that save.exe can't do the job no matter how I configure
it.  I will have to look for a third party solution like the zip or rar
utilities to zip all these files up to a single file that save.exe can
handle in a reasonable amount of time.

If anyone see anything I missed, please let me know.
Thanks
Calvin E. Thomas