Networker

Re: [Networker] target sessions

2002-09-25 04:08:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] target sessions
From: Howard Martin <howard.martin AT EDS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 04:08:19 -0400
If you're on Unix don't trust the GUI rates , I find them under reporting
by ~25% (on Suns use iostat )- if on NT you would need to look at the write
speed using the performance monitor. If you're using hardware compression
on the drives the rate that data is sent to the drives is dependent on the
compression ratio. Uncompressed rates for DLT 7000 is 5MB/s and for DLT
8000 is 6MB/s (I think), so if you were getting 2:1 compression you should
see rates of 10MB/s and 12MB/s. To see if you can get these rates use
bigasm (search the list for its use) on the backup server to check
throughput.
If what your asking is how to see how many savesets are needed to make your
drives stream then just keep upping the number of savesets until you get
streaming - this is a bit rough and ready as it would vary if you had a
bunch of slow clients in one group and fast clients in another.

Hope that helps