Networker

[Networker] Tape is mounted to the wrong Storage Node

2002-09-21 12:52:37
Subject: [Networker] Tape is mounted to the wrong Storage Node
From: k0s5 <k0s5 AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 00:51:36 +0800
Hi guys,

I have a really strange problem in my environment, and this problem arise
after I upgraded Networker to version 6.1.2

Setup:
- Unix backup server
- 6 Unix storage nodes
- 8 NTs storage nodes (3 set NT4.0 cluster and 2 W2K)
- DDS enable through SmartMedia 1.4.1

Problem:
Storage node affected: Cardinal1
1.
When the scheduled backup for Cardinal1 start, Networker will request tape
to mount to Cardinal1.
But instead of mounting to Cardinal1, it mount to Cardinal2 (from Networker
GUI message and from nsrjb ouput), yet in fact SmartMedia mount it to
Cardinal1 (from ov_stat output, the session is started by Cardinal1 not
Cardinal2)
It will make the media verification error since Networker try to check on
Cardinal2 while the tape is mounted to Cardinal1.
Networker will continuously mount to Cardinal2 and then failed to check and
followed by unmounting the tape.
Manual mount to Cardinal1 has no problem. And after that the backup will
write to this tape.

2.
Changing the Storage Node field on Cardinal1 from initial value: Cardinal1
to other server, i.e nsrserverhost or Cardinal2 has no effect. Networker,
when the backup start, will request tape to mount to Cardinal1 and doesn't
follow the Storage Node value.

Action has been done:
- changing the storage node value for Cardinal1 -> no effect
- verify the ip connectivity -> all correct, no changes from working config
before upgrade
- delete Cardinal1 instance and recreate again -> no luck
So temporary solution now is to divert the backup to other storage nodes by
disabling all drives seen by Cardinal1 and add the target storage node to
the Cardinal1's storage node field.

Has anyone experience this?
Any pointer and comment will be appreciated, as I am a bit frustrated here.

cheers - han