Networker

Re: [Networker] blinking "tape in use" on dlt8k

2002-09-17 17:57:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] blinking "tape in use" on dlt8k
From: Deb <deb AT TICKLEME.LLNL DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:56:49 -0700
Andrew Prince <Andrew.Prince AT quantum DOT com> had this to say,

> The drives are not faulty, they just have swallowed leaders.

Yeah, I inspected the drives and sure enough, the leaders are
not there.  They could be wrapped up, but it's hard to tell.

> Call Sun (assuming you have a service contract), and a Customer Service
> Engineer will be out fairly soon to fix them.

Called our rep.  Thanks for the confirmation.

> Also, perform a Visual Mechanical Inspection (VMI) of all your media.
> Swallowed leaders are usually caused by media or someone pulling the tapes
> out of the drives before the leaders have unbuckled. Sometimes there is no
> discernable cause.

That's going to be tricky.  Hard to know what tape was in which
drive.  I'm going to go back through the daemon.log.  Should be in
there, I think.

Thanks everyone for your responses,

deb