Networker

[Networker] cloning from unmounted disabled device

2002-09-11 15:22:32
Subject: [Networker] cloning from unmounted disabled device
From: Chuck Davis <networker AT DMSS.ARMY DOT MIL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:22:27 -0400
Hello Networkers,

OK - I think there's a bug and I don't usually say that (except about my
own s/w).  I was cloning a volume and networker 6.1.1 (hp-ux) had read
problems.  I began receiving a lot of 'Media warning: <device> reading:
Permission denied' errors - these were all on the source volume.  Then the
clone volume (destination) was marked full - I suspected, right or wrong,
that when the clone volume filled (prematurely at that) networker blocked
the read until a new clone tape was loaded so hence the permission errors.
So I loaded a new tape, it was labeled properly and cloning continued
briefly then all of the sudden, many more of the same permission denied
errors along with a few fsf and rewind permission denied errors.  then the
clone bombed and left about 1/2 the source tape uncloned.

So, I used saveset clone to continue.  At some point Networker unmounted
and disabled the source tape drive.  It is cloning now as I type this,
however, and here's the bug, the clone operation is reading data from an
unmounted/disabled drive and it is writing to the mounted/enabled clone
drive at about 5MB/sec, the usual clone rate.  If I monitor the volumes I
see that the save sets are being updated as cloned on both original and
clone volume.  So it looks like networker can clone from unmounted and
disabled devices as long as the correct tape is loaded in the drive.
YMMV.

So do you think is this really a feature or a bug?

Regards,

Chuck Davis
US Army