Networker

Re: [Networker] 247 character problem

2002-09-05 08:02:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] 247 character problem
From: Stefan Bartels <stefan.bartels AT HAMBURG-MANNHEIMER DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:06:04 -0400
Hi,

we have exactly the same Problems. We have opened a call at Mircosoft and
they told us that the Microsoft OS (Win2k, WinNT, Win9x,...) and their
products (Office, Exchange, Explorer, ...) uses sometimes the UNICODE and
sometimes the ANSI API. The UNICODE could create Files, directories up to
32k. The ANSI could only 255 characters.
247 because you have to count the UNC name (Server and Volumename). We got
our data on Novell NetWare 6.0/SP2 Server and the Users have pathlenght
incl. Filename up to 320 characters.
Backup is no Problem, the problem is the restore. We got an Abend (Abnormal
End) on NetWare when we are trying to restore. I won´t think about a
desaster recovery. A call at Novell is opened.
Microsoft will change their robocopy Tool so that Administrator can move
that files but Microsoft will not change their products so that they all
use one API. Have you ever tried to access a dokument or file that is more
that 255 characters? That will not work.
How to do that? Rename the subdirectories so that you have all about 255 or
more characters.
Cool that Microsoft is within their productlines incompatible.

We are waiting for the robocopy tool and than we copy all the Files and
directories to a special directory next to the root.

Regards
Stefan Bartels
ITERGO
Hamburg