Networker

Re: [Networker] SQL Module question

2002-09-03 10:29:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] SQL Module question
From: "Tsiamis, Panagiotis" <TsiamisP AT UNISYSTEMS DOT GR>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 17:09:20 +0300
Thanks for your point Peter,
All these do make sence, and of course they have to.
Maybe I wasn't quite clear in my question. Let me explain.
Networker gives you an option of restoring the batadase in "Read-Only" mode,
so that "logs can be applied later".
My question was how and from where? (tape backups, SQL Server itself
maybe?).
Let's say we restore the full backup and the first trancastion log from
Networker SQL User. Action is a normal restore but with the option to put
the batabase in read only mode, so we can open it up and check if the data
we want is there. If not, we're probably in need of applying some more logs.

Is this possible?
On our initial tests when going about the second restore, and selecting a
more recent incremental (log) backup, the full backup was aplied again with
all the subsequent logs until the point I specified.
I wouldn't mind this behaviour, since that does sound as a proper behaviour,
but our SQL server guy showed me how this could be done from SQL Server's
Entrprise Manager.
I understand that the Networker's SQL Module (or any database module in that
sence) is not an RDBMS, but I was just wondering if it provides some kind of
functionality to cover some situation as I described above.
(or maybe I confused concepts and the procedure wrong :-o)

Thanks again for your feedback,

Panos