Networker

Re: [Networker] Disk to Disk backups.

2002-08-31 16:29:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Disk to Disk backups.
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 16:32:28 -0400
We've tested this fairly extensively in our labs, and the NetWorker V6.1
backup-to-disk functionality works well.

There are a number of reasons where doing backups to disk is better than
backup to tape (no shoe shining during incremental backups, for instance).
But, even better than doing a bulk data copy from one disk to another disk,
would be to use a storage array-based feature (like a snapshot or mirror, or
something else) to actually BE the backup.  That would yield a serverless
backup which, in some implementations, would occur within the same array as
your primary data.  No bulk data movement would be necessary over the LAN or
the SAN, in this specific case.

How does that sound?

tl

Terry Lemons
CLARiiON Application Integration Engineering
        EMC²
where information lives

4400 Computer Drive, MS D239
Westboro MA 01580