Networker

[Networker] Recommendation on Optimizing Large SaveSet Backups and Recovers

2002-08-28 21:01:05
Subject: [Networker] Recommendation on Optimizing Large SaveSet Backups and Recovers
From: Nelson Caparroso <nelcaps AT NETZERO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 21:03:53 -0400
Environment: Networker 6.1.1, Shared Library, 18 DLT7000 drives -DDS via
SmartMedia. Server Parallelism is  42. On a particular Server that is a storage
node, I have 18 x 70GB superfast mount points that need to be backed up in the
shortest amount of time possible. Of course the fastest way to do this is to
stream one mount point (saveset) to a drive so all 18 drives are engaged all at
once - and I tried using target sessions  set to 1. However, this scheme only
work sometimes... like if Networker is taking a long time to figure out what
tape(s) to load it would still insist in multiplexing save streams to the
drives... Any other  "recipe"  or solution to this problem?

Similarly, we have a requirement that such backup set (18 x 70 Gb filesystems)
needs to be restored on  different servers that also act as storage nodes in
our Tape Area Network. We could not employ diskgroup floaters or SAN based
techniques to achieve this so we're left to using our TAN via the tape drives
to do this task. 1st to be hurdled was how to do the recovers so that it will
use the drives native to the server and not use the original backup set's
storage node - which we did using an on-the fly change of the storage node
parameter prior to the recovers. To recover the backup set, we just background
all 18 recover sessions and expect things to go on.. sometimes this works
sometimes it does not specially when a volume contains 2 or more savesets that
are concurrently being recovered.  My Q. - are there any undocumented settings
that say if a volume had multiplexed savesets that it can also "multiplex" the
recover?

Thanks.

NELSON