Networker

[Networker] Oscillating Thruput

2002-08-28 17:46:04
Subject: [Networker] Oscillating Thruput
From: "Jeffrey S. Jewett" <spider AT UMD5.UMD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 17:49:04 -0400
Greetings,

NW: 5.5.1
OS: Solaris 6 ,  Sun E250
Max parallelism: 12,   380 clients,  all types
Network connection:  100BaseT

Problem:

After backing up to our two DLT8000 drive at a reasonable rate of
7-10 MB/sec (total for both drives),  the throughput drops off to
a total of .5MB/sec for 10-15 minutes,  then climbs back up to 7-10MB/sec
for a few minutes,  then drops back down and repeats.

Using the graphical display of perfmeter,  the results are quite
striking (peaks separated by long valleys).   While this is going on,
I can ftp to a nearby (physically and same subnet) client and achieve
2MB/sec from server to client,   but when I initiate a NetWorker backup
of that client,  I see the same abysmal response.

netstat shows no errors or collisions.

I first noticed this a few months ago,  and it comes and goes but
is generally killing our throughput.

I'm wondering if some sort of software throttling is at work,  as we
have a mixture of fast/slow clients,  but basically I'm out of ideas,
and the oscillating nature of the problem is baffling.

Anyone have any ideas about what's going on,  or where to look for clues?

TIA.

- jeff

Jeffrey S. Jewett                               Phone:  301.405.3054
UNIX Support Group,  DCS/OIT                    Fax  :  301.314.9220
Rm 1311, Computer and Space Sciences Bldg       Email:  spider AT umd DOT edu
University of Maryland
College Park, MD  20742-2411