Networker

Re: [Networker] Moving NetWorker from SUN to HP

2002-08-27 15:30:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Moving NetWorker from SUN to HP
From: "Faidherbe, Thierry" <Thierry.Faidherbe AT HP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 21:03:12 +0200
Here is what I did :

1) First of all, I disabled all storage nodes and all local ones except
1.
2) I created a group with all of my clients checked in
   and launched "savegrp -O -l full <all_clients>
3) I shuted down legato on old server.
4) on the new one, I renamed it as the old one, with the same IP and
replicated the
host file.
5) I removed from jukebox the tape containing the bootstrap
6) From the new server, I installed same version that on the old server.
That's important.
7) I configured one drive and loaded the tape containing the
   bootstrap. Then, I ran mmrecov.
8) Next point was to shutdown legato on the new node and adapting
correct mount point for /nsr (in my case, it was a dedicated volume).
9) I moved back the restored /var/nsr/mm/* and /var/nsr/res/* to the new
location
and adapted links to have all of the above data reachable from /nsr/*
10) I restarted Legato on the new server (that claimed about incorrect
licenses)
and reconfigured the local jukebox and pools because drives were flagged
into our pools.
11) Once everything was OK, I ran "nsrck -L 7 <time of the full>" who
recreated the
/nsr/index/* tree
12) I transferred all of the lics from the old to the new hostid with
Legato
license team assistance.

That's it. Between Unix servers, I have been told it's working but you
have to
use mmrecov and nsrck -L 7 because the data format on disk (big indian,
little indian)
is different and may cause sw corruption. Between Unix and NT, it's not
working. If another one succeeded, I am also interested by the way  he
followed 8-)

It has been done without problem and I haven't lost any tape in the big
adventure.
I moved from a Compaq Tru64 Unix 4.0F to a Sun Solaris 8.

What I suggest you ...

Take a bootstrap tape (even an old one),
isolate from lan the HP-ux system (to avoid license duplication),
run a mmrecov and move back recovered mm and res directories and
see if you can browse again the volume DB (mminfo and from nwadmin).
In the worst case, you will lost the client file indexes.
but within less than 30 minutes, you will be fixed 8-)

If you want, feel free to give me a call ...

Thierry

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE

Storage & Server Integration Practice
Tru64 Unix and Legato EBS Consultant

                             HEWLETT - PACKARD
                             Compaq Computers, a member of the new HP
 *********       *********   1 Rue de l'aeronef/Luchtschipstraat
 *******    h      *******   1140 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 ******    h        ******
 *****    hhhh  pppp *****   Hewlett-Packard Belgium
 *****   h  h  p  p  *****   100/102 Blv de la Woluwe/Woluwedal
 *****  h  h  pppp   *****   1200 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 ******      p      ******   BELGIUM
 *******    p      *******
 *********       *********   Phone :    +32 (0)2  / 729.85.42
                             Mobile :   +32 (0)498/  94.60.85 ***
CHANGED ***
                             Fax :      +32 (0)2  / 729.88.30
     I  N  V  E  N  T        Email :    thierry.faidherbe AT hp DOT com
                             Internet : http://www.hp.com/

_____

MOBISTAR SA/NV

SYSTEM Team Charleroi, Mermoz 2 Phone : +32 (0)2  / 745.75.81
Avenue Jean Mermoz, 32          Fax :   +32 (0)2  / 745.89.56
6041 GOSSELIES                  Email : tfhaidhe AT mail.mobistar DOT be
BELGIUM                         Web :   http://www.mobistar.be/
_____