Networker

Re: [Networker] Moving NetWorker from SUN to HP

2002-08-23 13:34:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Moving NetWorker from SUN to HP
From: "Chad R. Larson" <clarson AT ELDOCOMP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:37:14 -0700
At 08:10 AM 8/23/02 , Matthew Bourne wrote:
If your /nsr directory is a symlink to filesystem /flibble on the Solaris
box, you will need to create a filesystem /flibble on your HP box and re-
create the links.  MMINFO really is that fussy.

Yes indeed.

We discovered this (and a few other things) earlier this year.  We had our
Networker installed on the drive with the most free space, and had a
symlink pointing to it ("ln -s /applications/nsr /nsr").

Later, we upgraded the disk space on the server.  We then deleted the
symlink (with Networker shut down) and copied /applications/nsr to
/nsr.  When we cranked things up, we discovered to our dismay, that
Networker was using =both= areas.  It seems that somewhere during the
initial installation, Networker figured out where it =really= lived (cd ..
; pwd ; cd .. ; pwd) and put that in the resources file instead of using
the /nsr link.

But some utilities use the resources entry and some do not.  Now we have
two sets of client indexes and two different media databases, one with new
data and the other with before-the-relocation data.  And support says you
absolutely cannot merge databases.  They say the only option is to use
scanner on every tape written to since the relocation.

        -crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)    chad AT eldocomp DOT com
  Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100