Networker

[Networker] Calculation of open ports in firewall for Networker

2002-08-20 17:57:37
Subject: [Networker] Calculation of open ports in firewall for Networker
From: Alexandre Déry/dgt/sct <Alexandre.Dery AT SCT.GOUV.QC DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:50:37 -0400
Hi everybody !

I'm kinda new to networker...

This is my setup (yes it's small, but will grow very quickly !)

Windows NT 4 + Legato 5.7 server & client

Server S, having 3 DLT tape devices, for 3 groups

Group A : 4 clients behind firewall X
Group B : 1 client behing  firewall Y
Group C : 1 client without any firewall

The backup groups start at different times.
Server paralelism is set to 4 (default).

I need to reduce the number of open ports between the server and the
clients. Currently, I''ve oppened the whole ranges (~7000-9000 and
10000-30000).

I've read a previous posting about this, and read the Legato
Adminstrator's guide many many times, and I am very confused on how to go
about this....

Could somebody explain to me clearly a way out of this ?

Thanks a lot for the help !

Alexandre Déry
Technicien
Direction des services d'inforoute