Networker

Re: [Networker] Using stinit under Linux to set block size

2002-08-07 10:49:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Using stinit under Linux to set block size
From: Carl Farnsworth <carl.farnsworth AT DIGIDYNE DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:52:29 -0400
On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 18:57:55 -0400, Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT US.IBM DOT COM>
wrote:

>Legato support tells me that I'm seeing the error "Cannot decode
>block. Verify the device configuration. Tape positioning by record is
>disabled." because the block size for the /dev/nst0 device under Linux
>is different than what Legato thinks the block size should be.
>
>In linux, mt -f /dev/nst0 stat reports a block size of 1024 for my LTO
>drive with a blank tape in it. The scanner -vvvv command tells me that
>a legato formated LTO tape is using block size of 64KB.
>
>So I'm left with the question of what is the proper block size for an
>LTO tape and how would one use stinit to set that up?
>
>Hints, comments, thoughts, along these lines as well as feedback from
>anyone who has seen these Tape positioning by record is disabled
>errors would be great.

I recently had a similar problem at a customer site, and after finding no
help for stinit.def even for a DLT7K drive, found that setting the
NetWorker variable for block size did the trick.  i.e.
in /etc/rc.d/init.d/networker set NSR_DEV_BLOCK_SIZE_LTO_ULTRIUM=64.  See
pg. 229 in Unix Admin Guide.

Carl Farnsworth
DigiDyne Inc.