Networker

Re: [Networker] Using stinit under Linux to set block size

2002-08-06 22:21:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Using stinit under Linux to set block size
From: Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 18:57:55 -0400
On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 02:57:48PM -0700, Shelley L. Shostak wrote:
> Scott,
>
> Blocksize set to 0.  Linux man pages stucnk on information about tapes.  I
> still have not found what the four device labels correspond to.

I assume you mean the mode[1234]= lines in the definition block. If
I've read your examples right, and the README.st file correctly, then
setting blocksize=0 simple tells the st driver that the tape drive
knows best.

Are your definitions below based on LTO ULTRIUM drives? To me they look
more like DLT or SDLT drives.

Legato support tells me that I'm seeing the error "Cannot decode
block. Verify the device configuration. Tape positioning by record is
disabled." because the block size for the /dev/nst0 device under Linux
is different than what Legato thinks the block size should be.

In linux, mt -f /dev/nst0 stat reports a block size of 1024 for my LTO
drive with a blank tape in it. The scanner -vvvv command tells me that
a legato formated LTO tape is using block size of 64KB.

So I'm left with the question of what is the proper block size for an
LTO tape and how would one use stinit to set that up?

Hints, comments, thoughts, along these lines as well as feedback from
anyone who has seen these Tape positioning by record is disabled
errors would be great.

--
  Scott Russell (lnxgeek AT us.ibm DOT com)
  Linux Technology Center, System Admin, RHCE.