Networker

Re: [Networker] tape drive technology

2002-08-06 16:23:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] tape drive technology
From: Hrvoje Crvelin <hcrvelin AT ORCHESTRA DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 22:29:32 +0200
Not related directly, but to add one note and ask one thing.
Recently we saw something most interesting with AIT-2 for an
example.  To cut down the story; customer moved from Linux to
Win2k.  While You can't move media and index in standard way
(actually You can index) the trick to use was copying this
over the samba.  So far so good.

Anyway, approach of using scanner was decided at the end.  Here
comes the bomb.

When scanning tapes written on Linux (AIT-2) on Win2k You get
an error "looks like tapeexercise" and that's it.  Further test
showed something really interesting:
1. when doing the same test with DAT it worked
2. when doing the same test with DLT7k it worked
3. It won't work with AIT-2

Then a tar has been tested in very much the same way (on win2k
we used UNIX services 3.0).  Same results.  Crazy!

So, it could be OS issue or something specific to AIT-2 (there
is a chip on them AFAIK, but I really don't see the connection
with it at all).

So the moral of the story; You may never ever know when You
are going to change server platform - ask for "try and buy" and
if it addresses Your needs (including something like above)
then You have fairly clean decision.

The question for this story is: why does this happen and did
anyone ever had a problem like this at all?  Yes, the block
size is the same!

It drives me crazy currently (yes, sharing the jukebox and
perhaps cloning from Linux server node to Win2k storage node
may resolve this, but we are talking about really big number
of tapes and no one really likes that).

Cheers,
Hrvoje Crvelin