Networker

Re: [Networker] two different client with the same hostname

2002-08-02 12:30:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] two different client with the same hostname
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT MEDEC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 12:32:10 -0400
I'll stick my neck out here with how we did some client naming..

We have a bit of both:
A.) Have a client listed twice with the excact same name.
B.) Have the same client list with two seperate/distinct client names.

To do A:

1. In client setup, details on, select the client (myclient).   Highlight
the clientid string (and hit copy on your Sun keyboard :)  ).

2. In client setup, details on, select create.   Enter the exact same name
of the client (myclient).   In the client id field paste the clientid
from step 1.    In the aliases field  give it all the same aliases..

This is how we do some clients where the savesets are set differently on
each entry.  The client is listed twice in the client list but it has the
advantage that it uses one client connection license.  When one goes to
recover, all savesets are listed for the client.

To do B:

1.  In DNS for the client (myclient) define an alias record...
myclient-secondname.

2.  In Networker, client setup, create,  create the client as usual
(myclient-secondname),  define your savesets etc.. For aliases make
sure you DON'T have the first name (myclient) or any other aliases
that myclient uses in its Networker alias list.

This has the advantage that now in the Networker client list there is another
client called myclient-second that is distinct from myclient.

The disadvantages seem many (now that we've worked with it):
each client name gets a unique clientid.
each client name uses a Networker connection license.
each client name gets a seperate file index.
on restores, one can only see its saveset info. (A directed recover is needed
to restore files from myclient to myclient-secondname).

Hope this is of some help.

Robert Maiello
Thomson
Medical Economics

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 07:00:58 +0200, Frank Ziebarth <F.Ziebarth AT D-TRUST DOT