Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Incremental backups stacking up behind long-running job

2017-02-08 07:53:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Incremental backups stacking up behind long-running job
From: Thomas Lohman <thomasl AT mtl.mit DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 07:36:37 -0500
> One of the queued backups is the next incremental backup of "archive".
> My expectation was that the incremental backup would run only some hours
> after the full backup finishes, so the difference is really small and it
> only takes some minutes and only requires a small amount of tape
> storage. The problem now is that bacula does its check if there already
> is a full backup of "archive" available when adding the job to the queue
> and not when running it. Since the full backup has not been finished
> yet, there is none and bacula turns the second incremental backup (and
> probably the third one) into a full backup as well.
>
> I'm currently running bacula 5.2.6, so my question is if anybody knows
> a solution to this problem (apart from manually cancelling the queued
> incremental jobs) or if an upgrade to bacula 7 might solve the problem.
> The upgrade to 7.4 is planned for the future already.

I believe that the problem that you're describing is the same one I had
a number of years ago when running 5.2.x.  I had fixed it and submitted
a patch I believe.  So my guess is that this should now be fixed and
should not be an issue in 7.4.x.

http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=1882

In addition, there are options to cancel new jobs if there are already
running jobs, etc.  Please see the following job options

   Allow Duplicate Jobs = yes/no
   Cancel Lower Level Duplicates = yes/no
   Cancel Queued Duplicates = yes/no
   Cancel Running Duplicates = yes/no