Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Delayed job delay other jobs assigned to the same volume

2016-03-31 18:24:26
Subject: [Bacula-users] Delayed job delay other jobs assigned to the same volume
From: arifsaha <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 14:18:22 -0700
Hi Bacula users!

I often experience issues with the fact that Bacula assigned multiple jobs to
one tape volume, that when one of the jobs is delayed or take too much time,
all other jobs will also be delayed. There seems to be limited we can do with
this issue with tape backup (let me know if I am not correct), but since we are
looking toward moving into having disk as storage-backend, I am wondering
whether there is anything I can do with disk-based backup to reduce this issue.
These methods seems promising:

1. Creating multiple "Device"s point to the same storage backend and have a
virtual "Autochanger" to manage them. It seems that to alleviate the issue
above, I need to set "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" for each "Device" to 1, right?
However, I am wondering whether Bacula will spread the jobs to multiple
devices; previously with tape backup, most of the time Bacula only use the
primary / default device (tape drive).

2. Creating multiple "Pool"s and distribute the jobs among them. This seems to
require a lot of manual works, though. More extreme (but actually less manual
work), is having one "Pool" per "Job" definition, therefore each volume will be
dedicated to 1 "Job" definition, and won't wait for another "Job".

3. Limit only one job instance per volume, i.e. "Maximum Volume Jobs = 1", so
Bacula cannot assign more than 1 job to a volume. The issue is the number of
volume files proliferating in the storage backend.

4. Any other suggestions?

Thank you!