Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] volume selection algorithm again

2015-10-30 14:21:55
Subject: [Bacula-users] volume selection algorithm again
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 13:16:15 -0500
I'm burning in a 7.0.5 (since I don't see 7.2 RPMs in Simone's repo)
server with the latest vchanger and 8 disk "magazines", 3TB each. Here's
what I get backing up a 5+TB filesystem -- note that this is just a
burn-in, not production:

- full backup runs from 22-Oct 21:05 to 29-Oct 02:36,
- it's done spooling the first volume on Oct 23 01:17 and it writes it
to vchanger_7_9 -- *that is the last volume in the last magazine*,
- and then wakes up and starts writing to mag 0, fills it up, moves over
to mag 1 in sequence.

This is commodity spinning run disks so I have a post-job script that
rsyncs the last written magazine to another drive (poor man's guard
against drive failure). For that to work, it is very important that a
backup is *not* spread randomly over different magazines.

Is that even doable with bacula?

Josh, do you think the ordering could be enforced by vchanger maybe?

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin