Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 350TB backup

2015-10-19 18:30:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 350TB backup
From: "Robert M. Candey" <robert.m.candey AT nasa DOT gov>
To: Thing <thing.thing AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 18:25:39 -0400
We have 80TB of heliophysics data that we mirror with rsync daily to another storage server for fast switchover. We use Bacula to make quarterly full backups to LTO-5 tapes that we send to another building (and annually to an Iron Mountain facility with 10 year retention), and incremental and differential backups in between to another tape pool.  We split the full backups into 5 jobs by parts of the directory hierarchy in order to keep the backups under a week long, with the 5th job being everything not included in the specific directories of the first 4 jobs, and the PostgreSQL catalog.  It made a difference to run the backups from a separate server with dedicated spool RAID array, 48GB RAM, and Fibre-Channel to the tape library, with the servers connected through a 10GbE Ethernet switch. We'll soon be getting 80TB more data a year and so are getting a LTO-7 library and putting the mirrored storage in separate buildings (GlusterFS on top of ZFS).  I'm also thinking of using SSDs for the spool area; does anyone have recommendations on that?

Robert Candey