Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backing up to a western digital my book over ethernet -- best practices?

2015-10-06 09:58:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backing up to a western digital my book over ethernet -- best practices?
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 09:59:58 -0400

On 10/5/2015 10:17 AM, mayak wrote:
> hi all,
>
> if possible, i'd like to configure the storage daemon to store backup data on
> a western digital my book.
>
> i understand that the bacula-fd can be compiled and run on the device (older
> threads) -- is that the best method, or is mounting the devices over nfs the
> preferred method?

I am assuming that you mean a WD MyCloud NAS device, rather than the
MyBook USB hard drive. A bacula-fd compiled for the MyCloud would be a
bacula client used for backing up the MyCloud itself. To use the MyCloud
as a backup storage device, it would need to run the bacula-sd storage
daemon. While it is entirely possible that bacula-sd could be compiled
for the MyCloud, if you already have a bacula-sd running on a server,
then the simple method is to configure an iSCSI target on the MyCloud
and the existing bacula-sd can use it as normal hard disk storage.