Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Performance settings for large file LTO-6 backup

2015-06-30 11:02:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Performance settings for large file LTO-6 backup
From: "John Stoffel" <john AT stoffel DOT org>
To: Andrew Noonan <anoonan AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 10:26:03 -0400
My one comment is that if you really want to keep this data forever,
then you should *really* be making multiple copies to tape, and then
also re-reading them and comparing them against the master data.

I also think that the biggest time sink will be the finding and
building of the daily tar files to ship to bacula.  Anything you can
do to make that simpler and quicker, or possibly even incrementally
happen would be an improvement.

Possibly what you want to do is have a master process which watches
the filesystem, then pulls out all the newly created files, tars them
up into larger chunks (though I wouldn't do 2.5Tb, I'd do much
smaller, say 100g max) which once they are full, are then sent to
Bacula, which can either write two tapes in parallel, or if you have
three drives, you could be writing to one, and then using the second
and third to clone the tape.

Just because you've written the data to tape doesn't mean you're going
to have it last forever.  You will need to store it properly, and
ideally test it once in a while to make sure it's still good.

Writing multiple tapes is cheap insurance.   But it all comes down to
the cost of re-creating the source data.

John