Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bsmtp operation to retry sending e-mails

2015-05-28 11:03:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bsmtp operation to retry sending e-mails
From: Bryn Hughes <linux AT nashira DOT ca>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 08:01:21 -0700
The easiest way to resolve that is to run postfix (or the MTA of your
choice) on the local machine and have it configured to forward mail to
your mail gateway.  Then bacula (or anything else that needs to send
mail) just sends it to the local MTA and it handles everything from
there.  Retries, routing, failover, etc can be implemented in the MTA.

Generally I consider this to be a good practice; let individual
applications have simple mail code that just sends to a local MTA and
leave all the complex stuff - TLS, authenticated sending, MX lookups,
transport tables, queuing, etc to software that is purpose-written for that.

Bryn