Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] BackupCatalog in slaanesh rpms

2015-05-26 15:07:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] BackupCatalog in slaanesh rpms
From: Simone Caronni <negativo17 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 21:02:24 +0200
Hello,

On 26 May 2015 at 20:07, Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu> wrote:
I meant to post this back when I played when 5.2.13 and I don't think I
did, anyway, this is in 7.0.5 as well. I'm not sure what, if anyhting,
you'd want to do about it.

BackupCatalog job in director config has
> RunBeforeJob = "/usr/libexec/bacula/make_catalog_backup.pl MyCatalog"

Basically, I have long-ish lists of clients and filesets so I have in my
director config
> @/etc/bacula/bacula-dir.files.conf
> @/etc/bacula/bacula-dir.hosts.conf
> @/etc/bacula/bacula-dir.jobs.conf

So when /usr/libexec/bacula/make_catalog_backup.pl script reads
bacula-dir.conf looking for "catalog=(.+)" it's not finding anything
because client definitions aren't in that file.

I have the same setup here, with hundreds of files for clients, jobs, etc. but the catalog definition is only one in my main bacula-dir.conf.
Is your /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf file completely blank except for the inclusion of other files?

There should be only one per installation, so probably it was never thought to be elsewhere. Is there a particular reason for thhe catalog= directive to be in a secondary files and not in the main one? Couldn't you just move the catalog definition back in the main configuration file and just leave your installation as is?

I simply replaced it with
> RunBeforeJob = "/usr/bin/pg_dump -c -U bacula -f /var/spool/bacula/bacula.sql bacula"
which works for me but is not a general solution.

Maybe just add another step to quickstart documents? -- That perl script
doesn't really do anything more than that and the check that's failing
in my setup is non-functional in the first place (meant as a sanity
check perhaps?)

The only thing I can think of right now is to move the script under /etc/bacula and mark it as %config as well, so it becomes a "suggestion" for people to create their own backup script if required.
Or maybe just update the various readme files with information to copy the script in /usr/local/sbin/ and modify to taste.

Ideas are welcome. Fedora git repository is here: http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/bacula.git

Thanks & regards,
--Simone

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore (R. W. Emerson).

http://xkcd.com/229/
http://negativo17.org/