Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Device is BLOCKED

2015-04-24 11:04:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Device is BLOCKED
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:02:27 -0400
On 4/24/2015 9:14 AM, Clark, Patricia A. wrote:
> This is a known bug that has been reported, but still exists.  The job wants
> the tape in use by another job that is using it in drive 0.

I'm not convinced that this is a bug. By design, Bacula allows more than
one job to simultaneously write to the same volume. When a job looks for
the next volume to write on, it cannot exclude volumes that are already
in use by another job. Note that this is not just at job start up, but
any time a volume is needed. What causes the catch-22 is that each job
is assigned a single device (tape drive) only once at job start up. If
two jobs, each writing to a different device, require the same volume,
then one job must wait until the volume can be moved into its assigned
device. So it is not a bug in the implementation, but rather a design
choice.

 From the perspective of using a multiple drive changer it would seem
that it is a bug to allow multiple jobs to simultaneously write to the
same volume, but Bacula must work with all kinds of hardware. If the
implementation were changed to disallow simultaneous writes to the same
volume, then concurrent jobs with a single drive changer would be
impossible.

Bacula does allow resolving this issue through the use of pools. By
segregating jobs that are to be run concurrently into different pools,
the situation where two jobs want the same volume at the same time is
avoided altogether.  So is this a bug, or is it a configuration error?