Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mini-Status report

2014-11-25 14:24:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mini-Status report
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "Ana Emília M. Arruda" <emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 20:21:52 +0100
Hello Ana,

Nice to hear from you :-)

On 11/25/2014 05:43 PM, Ana Emília M. Arruda wrote:
Hello Kern,

Is there any problem to set Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1 in Devices definition?

No, but if you have multiple disk devices that point to the same directory, you will get a certain amount of disk fragmentation, whereas if you allow Maximum Concurrent Jobs to be a bit higher (say 5), you will get interleaving of jobs but not disk fragmentation (it probably works out to be roughly the same performance wise).

So, it is only a question of efficiency.

For tapes, see below ...

Setting this directive to a higher value and, in the case of using tape libraries, combined with data spooling for reducing data interleave, should make our backups goes faster. But if someone really don´t need that more than one job writes to one tape and want to have no data interleave, is this configuration a problem?

For tapes, Bacula will definitely run faster if you do data spooling, and as you note it will reduce interleaving too.  For best performance try to have the fastest disks possible, perhaps with some form of RAID (for speed) if you are writing to an LTO-5 or LTO-6 drive.

If someone does not need more than one job writing to a tape and wants no data interleaving, then setting Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1 is the best solution.

Best regards,
Kern