Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] (no subject)

2014-11-21 13:21:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] (no subject)
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:17:05 -0600
On 11/21/2014 08:46 AM, Luca Codutti wrote:
> Thank you for the reassuring news!

And now the bad news  ;)

We've been using DLTs happily enough and now have a few hundred DLT
tapes in the basement with no hardware (or software) to recover anything
from them (assuming there's something recoverable).

(DLT's been officially EOL'ed in 2007, I think we stopped using it a few
years before that.)

Then we switched to AITs and now we have a sun box with its disks dd'ed
in triplicate, another same model sun for spares, and 2 qualstar
libraries -- so for AITs we at least have the software and hardware in
case we need to recover stuff.

(AIT's been EOL'ed in 2010.)

Last but not least, this is in academic environment where you can only
really guarantee retention to the end of your funding period.

So
- we keep 10 years worth of backups
- but we only have money to keep them until next September
- and the technologies required for actually using those backups don't
exist anymore. For some of them, even companies who invented them don't
exist.

So I would strongly recommend finding an excuse to weasel your way out
of that project if you possibly can.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin