Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Incremental Jobs

2014-11-20 17:52:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Incremental Jobs
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 17:48:56 -0500
On 11/19/2014 11:47 AM, Martin Simmons wrote:

>> On 11/18/2014 07:50 AM, Dante Colo wrote:
>>> Hello Heitor
>>>
>>> I tried but wasn't the case, anyway thank you for the suggestion.
>>
>> re: Adding  Ignore Fileset Changes = Yes   option in fileset.
>>
>> If you add that to a fileset, it will take affect after the first full of
>> that
>> newly modified fileset is complete.
>>
>> I say "newly modified fileset" because by adding that option, you are in fact
>> changing the fileset, and Bacula will think it needs to run a full.
>
> I don't think that is true.  The fileset md5 doesn't include boolean options
> like Ignore Fileset Changes.
>
> __Martin

Hi Martin,

while testing this out the other day (in an effort to make sure I was correct
before posting :) I ran into an interesting thing.

I made sure all jobs were not running, and that the last run for job I was
going to use in my test had completed OK. It was an incremental earlier that
day.

I manually started an Incremental of that job, and it ran as an Incremental -
so far so good.

Then I edited the Fileset for that job, and only added a "#" to comment out
the Ignore Fileset Changes = Yes that I had in there since the beginning and
saved the Fileset.

I then issued a "reload" in bconsole and started the job again as Incremental
and it auto-upgraded it to Full due to "No prior Full backup Job record found".

After going back and forth a few times on this, and then checking the Fileset
in the db, I realized that it was not being updated until/unless I edited the
Include {} stanza. (just as you had mentioned in your reply)

This made no sense to me because if the Fileset's MD5, nor CreateTime are not
changing, and a new record for that Fileset is not being created, I could  not
understand how Bacula is determining that it needs to run a full.

So, after seeing your response, and thinking about what I must have done wrong
the other day, today I tried the process over - carefully.

And sure enough, I ran a manual incremental, then edited the Fileset and
(only) added  "#" in front of the "Ignore Fileset Changes = Yes" in my
fileset, then issued a reload and attempted another incremental and Bacula
upgraded it to Full due to "No prior Full Job record found"

As you can see, my db shows no new changes to that fileset today, but it seems
Bacula is using something else to make the upgrade determination.

mysql> select * from FileSet WHERE FileSet LIKE 'ups%';
+-----------+-------------------+------------------------+---------------------+
| FileSetId | FileSet           | MD5                    | CreateTime          |
+-----------+-------------------+------------------------+---------------------+
|        60 | upsmonFullFileSet | 2HsumTUBV++T5yE8q5RW7A | 2014-11-18 17:32:55 |
|        59 | upsmonFullFileSet | K+/HI8wAIXQPJl+626FcAC | 2014-11-18 17:24:12 |
|        57 | upsmonFullFileSet | 6jcy46+Z3hIPR5o9+D/0bD | 2014-11-18 17:21:38 |
|        58 | upsmonFullFileSet | a3tIy5BQ96c/E88+nk/CGA | 2014-11-18 17:23:24 |
4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Thoughts?  Comments? Help?  :)

Bill

--