Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Configuration help for autochangers

2014-11-19 12:24:00
Subject: [Bacula-users] Configuration help for autochangers
From: Andrea Carpani <andrea.carpani AT dnshosting DOT it>
To: "Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 18:21:43 +0100
Hello list,

I am trying to get my grasp in Bacula configuration with virtual
autochangers and I could certainly use some advice from you all.

I want to backup data from ~100 hosts. I have no tapes and I want to
backup everything into a large, multi TB, disk array.
Hosts come and go so my requirement is: if ever a host is deleted, all
disk space allocated for this host should be freed (jobs purged +
volumes truncated or deleted).
I can't restart sd every time a host is added so I'm trying to set up
Virtual Autochangers.

On the sd I have a single mountpoint (/bacvol02) and I have created
directories for a number of hosts greater than the hosts I have now to
backup (/bacvol02/host001, /bacvol02/host002, ..., /bacvol02/host999). A
virtual autochanger (VA) includes all of these devices. Let's call this
autochanger "hosts-va".

On the director I want to create a job for each host. Data for this host
should go into its own directory (ie: jobs on host001 ->
/bacvol02/host001, jobs on host002 -> /bacvol02/host002, etc..).
How do I setup the VA on Director's side? Shoud I use pools? Can I use
the same Media Type everywhere since there is no mounting/unmounting
required?

What if I had several jobs for each host (think about separate jobs for
every user home): would it be possible to have each job create a volume
(maybe with a descriptive label) inside the host device?

Eg: job for joe should backup /home/joe on host001. Bacula then creates
volumes such as /bacvol02/host001/joe-001, /bacvol02/host001/joe-002, ...)

Thanks,

.a.c.
Andrea