Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO speed optimisation

2014-11-06 14:51:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO speed optimisation
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "Roberts, Ben" <ben.roberts AT gsacapital DOT com>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 20:47:57 +0100
Hello,

I recommend that you use caution when applying information from a new fork with relatively young programmers.  Bareos recommends setting the block size to 1M.  However, myself, and confirmed by Quantum for LTO-4 tapes (may change with LTO-5, 6) is that anything greater than 512K may increase throughput but will significantly increase errors on dirty drives or old tapes.  Thus you risk losing data.

I currently have a project to ease the problems of changing block sizes for tapes in Bacula (hopefully by year end).  I have not confirmed, but suspect that if you increase the Maximum Block Size to 512K, you will be able to read/write new volumes and you will also be able to read old volumes.  I am not sure if read/write of old volumes would be a good idea though as you would then have a volume with two block sizes, which should work, but I wouldn't try it.

I think (and hope) that the only problem you will get into, is that if you write a volume with 512K blocks, currently, you will not be able to read it back with a Bacula configured for 64K block sizes.

If you test and confirm or infirm any of my points, please let us know.

Best regards,
Kern