Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Cryptic SD status: zero despooling speed

2014-09-13 18:40:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Cryptic SD status: zero despooling speed
From: Ivan Adzhubey <iadzhubey AT rics.bwh.harvard DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 18:37:31 -0400
On Saturday, September 13, 2014 03:38:52 PM Ivan Adzhubey wrote:
> CORRECTION: Reports for fobs doing despooling to tape also get their Files
> and  Bytes reported values stuck (not incremented, unlike I wrote
> previously). Hence it makes sense that their speed rates get zero readings
> as well. This is all true for status reports displayed under "Running Jobs"
> close to the top of the "status sd" output.
>
> HOWEVER: At the same time, status report output under Device below (for my
> 2  tape drives) displays constantly incrementing values. So the tape drives
> are actually engaged and despooling is progressing but the "Running Jobs"
> section does not reflect this.

After carefully watching the backup progress for several hours in bconsole, I
gradually started to understand how its status is reported.

The "Running Jobs" Files, Bytes, AveBytes/sec, and LastBytes/sec track
spooling process only. These counters stop as soon as the spooling to disk is
completed. They do *not* track despooling at all. Despooling to tape is only
tracked under corresponding Device sections.

This still leaves open the question of why despooling is suddenly so slow
after the Bacula upgrade...

--Ivan