Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Issue with restoring folders via bweb+brestore

2014-03-25 10:03:21
Subject: [Bacula-users] Issue with restoring folders via bweb+brestore
From: "Matthias Kramps" <Matthias.Kramps AT krzn DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 14:41:42 +0100
Hello Everyone,

first things first, the system information:

OS: Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS 64-bit
Bacula Version: 5.2.5-0ubuntu6.2 installed from Ubuntu Repositories
Database: mysql-server-5.5        Version: 5.5.34-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 installed from Ubuntu Repositories
We are using the bweb GUI version 5.0.3 and brestore 2.4.2. from the bacula-gui-5.0.3 package with ext.js 2.3.0.

The Problem we face is a restore issue. If we do a restore on this Bacula-server via the restore command
in the bconsole everything works fine. In order to ease the administration for non technical users we also
use the bweb GUI and its brestore function. Bweb on its own works fine but we have a serious issue when
trying to restore folders with brestore. If we select the folders to restore in brestore and run the
restore process the server restores the wrong data. Whether we have a complex path to the desired
folder on the client or not the outcome is the same, it restores random data from the client backup. This applies
to all clients(all Windows Server 2008 R2) backed up with this server, even to the client of the
Bacula-server which runs on Ubuntu as mentioned above. The restore of files, single or multiple ones, works fine
with brestore.

Here is an example on what goes wrong with the restore via brestore:
I try to restore the folder /install/bacula-gui-5.0.3/ from the Bacula-server. I select it with brestore
from the most recent backup(incremental) and restore it to the /tmp folder of the Bacula-Server. After
the restore finished I found the following data in the restore folder:

ls /tmp/bacula-restore-server/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-21/
arch  drivers  Makefile  samples  security

When I did the same restore with the restore function of bconsole the server restores the desired data:

ls /tmp/restore-bconsole/install/bacula-gui-5.0.3/
autoconf  bacula-gui.spec.in  bacula-web  bimagemgr  brestore  bweb  configure  debian  ext  Makefile  Makefile.in  README

The result is the same with any other client backed up on this server.
We tried to solve this issue by reinstalling bweb and its components. This didn't help. We also tried to update
to a more recent version of bweb but we had to roll back since we weren't able to fill in the data from the Bacula
Catalog into the bweb/brestore tables. Since it is really hard to get proper documentation and help with bweb
i would be really thankful if anyone can provide me with some proper documentation about bweb.

I suspect two possible causes. The first would be brestore but I highly doubt that this is the cause for the issue
since we maintain several Bacula environments and this is the first one with and issue like that. My second suspicion
would be the database, although it's really irritating that a restore of folders via bconsole works properly.

Did anyone ever met an issue like mine? Does anyone have suggestions how to solve this problem?
Big thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Matthias Kramps