Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bsmtp problem.

2014-03-21 19:33:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bsmtp problem.
From: "Levie, Jim" <Jim.Levie AT dynetics DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 23:12:36 +0000
On Mar 21, 2014, at 5:02 PM, Erik P. Olsen <epodata AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> On 21/03/14 12:24, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
>> On 21/03/2014 6:01 AM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>> [SNIP]
>>>
>>> That was my first thought so I booted my old fedora 16 system which happen
>>> send the messages correctly with exactly the same messages directive and
>>> there
>>> it works. So bsmtp IS the smtp server, I just have to find out why it won't
>>> connect to localhost. Maybe it's a firewall problem or the wrong port. Or
>>> simply
>>> a bug.
>>>
>> Sigh.
>>
>> The "bsmtp" program is *not* an SMTP server.
>>
>> Go RTFM - "man bsmtp".
>>
>> You need to point bsmtp at a functioning SMTP server.
>>
>> Presumably your old system had such an SMTP server, i.e. "localhost".
>>

> Thanks for kicking my butt. Yes, you are absolutely right. I checked my old
> system and I am very reluctant to admit that it actually does have sendmail up
> and running. What now nags me is that I don't remember having set it up.
> Getting
> older your RAM starts deteriorating :-(

The default for all Linux and Unix was in the past to install sendmail or
postfix (limited to localhost). Dunno if that might have changed in the latest
versions of Fedora. There are lots of things that expect to send notifications
via email, so it makes sense to always have the server installed and
operational.

The information contained in this message, and any attachments, may contain
privileged and/or proprietary information that is intended solely for the
person or entity to which it is addressed. Moreover, it may contain export
restricted technical data controlled by Export Administration Regulations (EAR)
or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Any review,
retransmission, dissemination, or re-export to foreign or domestic entities by
anyone other than the intended recipient in accordance with EAR and/or ITAR
regulations is prohibited.