Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Removable Disk Vchanger

2014-02-28 21:58:10
Subject: [Bacula-users] Removable Disk Vchanger
From: WebDawg <webdawg AT hackspherelabs DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 16:26:34 -1000
Hello,

I saw that Josh Fisher was on this list so I am email it about this guide:  http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=removable_disk

I am new to Bacula and I would like to use some hard drives I have instead of tapes.  I am having trouble understanding a magazine and its slots and the relationship to using hard disks.

Why would this be a common practice?:

magslots=20
maxdrive=1

Why would I want more then one slot per hard drive?  I could see for a tape backup......and loader...etc.

Is this just here to migrate from tape to drive quickly or is there some real reason for it?

Would not:

magslots=1
maxdrive=1

Be best for two drives?

Does the magslots create multiple 'slots' on the disk?

maxdrive starts at 0 right?

Having more then one slot have anything to do with redundancy later on?

Forgive my ignorance and thanks for your help ahead of time.

Michael Weber