Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] question about how retention works

2013-12-20 13:21:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] question about how retention works
From: Greg Woods <greg AT gregandeva DOT net>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 11:19:39 -0700
On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 13:14 -0500, Dan Langille wrote:

> Read http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/main/main/Restore_Command.html
>
> 'If a Job's file records have been pruned from the catalog, the restore
> command will be unable to find any files to restore. Bacula will ask if
> you want to restore all of them or if you want to use a regular
> expression to restore only a selection while reading media. See
> FileRegex optionFileRegex and below for more details on this.'

That pretty much implies that it *is* possible to restore files for
which there are no more file records in the catalog. And that is a VERY
good thing. I would hate to have all my backup data become useless due
to a database crash (yes, I do back up my database outside of Bacula
just in case, but still...)

--Greg