Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-dir run failure on Ubuntu 12.04.02 - FIXED

2013-08-05 13:59:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-dir run failure on Ubuntu 12.04.02 - FIXED
From: uhog-v9e4 AT spamex DOT com
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 13:56:05 -0400

On 8/3/2013 2:52 AM, lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de wrote:

> Zitat von uhog-v9e4 AT spamex DOT com:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> For what it's worth, I tried compiling Bacula 5.0.3 on Ubuntu 12.0.4
>> today. I currently have Bacula 5.0.3 running on Ubuntu 10.0.4 on
>> another server. The compilation failed on 12.0.4 for the director
>> though the SD and FD both compiled. I played around a bit but then
>> decided just for kicks to reinstall this new machine back to 10.0.4
>> and try that. After that, I did an update, and then loaded the
>> build-essential, libncurses5-dev, and libmysqlclient-dev packages. I
>> then built 5.2.13 and it builds and runs with no problem. So
>> whatever is going on must be related to something happening with
>> Ubuntu packaging at 12.0.4 that causes Bacula to not link in
>> everything it needs.
>>
>> Since my primary goal is to get moved to different hardware, I'm
>> just going to continue running on 10.0.4 on the new hardware with
>> the 5.2.13 Bacula since 10.0.4 is supported until midway through
>> 2015. After I get everything migrated and stabilized, maybe I'll
>> play with debugging this 12.0.4 problem again in a virtual machine
>> or something in my spare time.
>>
>> Thanks again for the ideas, I learned a bit more about digging
>> around in the symbols on linux so it was worth that anyway. If I do
>> get back to it and find a solid answer, I'll update the list.
>>
>> Mike
>
> Some time ago i build 5.2.13 the Debian/Ubuntu way as .deb packages on
> Ubuntu 12.04. I can provide you a link for download without any
> warranty of course. Maybe i can even dig out the thing which have to
> be done to get the deb compiled.
>
> Regards
>
> Andreas

A bit more reading and thinking and poking around on the web and I found this:

http://bacula.10910.n7.nabble.com/director-fails-with-quot-undefined-symbol-mysql-thread-safe-quot-td73835.html

Too bad the last response in that thread did not make it out to the mailing
list!

The short answer to the problem is that with the default Makefile for the
src/cats diretory, the build cannot find the libmysqlclient_r on Ubuntu 12.04.
I'm not exactly sure why the configure works but the Makefile is not built
properly but I am really out of my element when I get deep into building
software on linux. At any rate, to get Bacula to build on Ubuntu 12.04.02 with
mysql, use the proper configure file and make sure that works as expected. Then
edit the src/cats/Makefile produced and change the line
MYSQL_LIBS =
MYSQL_LIBS = -L/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu -lmysqlclient_r

Note that this was the proper path for my Ubuntu 12.04.02 LTS 32 bit
installation, but you may have a different path). The directory now runs with
no problems. Hope this helps and thanks for all the help folks.

Mike