Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Fwd: Help with Bacula config for single tape

2013-08-05 09:55:07
Subject: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Help with Bacula config for single tape
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bacula Users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 09:52:14 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Help with Bacula config for single tape
To: Gustavo Fiore <gfiorear AT yahoo.com DOT ar>

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Gustavo Fiore <gfiorear AT yahoo.com DOT ar>
wrote:
> I'm trying to do the following configuration:
>
> I have 5 tapes, one for mondays, another one for tuesdays, wednesdays,
> thursdays and fridays.
>
> What I need is to keep one month historical backup on the tapes. What I'm
> trying to do is to make Bacula recycle the oldest volume's job instead of
> recycling the whole volume, like this:
>

> - Monday week 1 > write
>
> - Monday week 2 > write
>
> - Monday week 3 > write
>
> - Monday week 4 > write
>
> - Monday week 5 > recycle files written on week 1 and the write
>
> - Monday week 6 > recycle files written on week 1 and the write
>

> An so on, always keeping one month back backup on the tape.
>
> Is it possible to do this with Bacula? I've read a lot of of docs and search
> in forums and I tried with some retention parameters with no luck.

Tape devices with HW compression that essentially means variable size
do not generally support this as a result bacula recycles all or none
and also for simplicity bacula treats all devices the same  so disk
based backups have the same restriction.

John

--
John M. Drescher