Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Strange issue with backup size

2013-04-05 07:14:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Strange issue with backup size
From: Adrian Reyer <bacula-lists AT lihas DOT de>
To: Alberto Caporro <a.caporro AT consulthink DOT it>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 12:53:00 +0200
Hi Alberto,

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 09:03:51AM +0200, Alberto Caporro wrote:
> I backed up our mail server, which is hosted in a virtual machine
> with two virtual disks sized at 20G and 200G respectively. I'm only
> backing up relevant files (/etc, /root and /opt) and measured on the
> server itself, the total size amounts to slightly more than 56G.

Please rethink that. Unless you took further steps, if your box crashes
you won't even know which packages have been installed, your /etc will
be mostly useless. And if you actually know which packages you had
installed, you would need to reconfigure them with debconf as the
information from /var is missing.
I strongly recommend to always backup the whole server. The saved few
100MB system data is never worth the time you have to spend resolving
all these configuration issues.

Regards,
        Adrian
--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91