Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Backup strategy with Bacula

2013-03-26 22:36:09
Subject: [Bacula-users] Backup strategy with Bacula
From: Wood Peter <peterwood.sd AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 19:33:44 -0700
Hi,

I'm planning to use Bacula to do file level backup of about 15 Linux
systems. Total backup size is about 2TB.

For Bacula server I'm thinking to buy Dell PE R520 with 24TB internal
storage (8x 3TB disks) and use virtual tapes.

- I'm backing up mostly text configuration files.
  How many full backups can I expect to fit in this amount of storage?

For offsite backup I was thinking to use external tape drive and
replicate the full backup to tape. Once a month I'll go to the colo
where the server is, get the tape and bring it to the office.

- But, we have 100Mbps from the office to the colo.
  Is there a way to copy the full backup to the office over the
network and completely avoid tapes?

If that's not possible can I attach external storage to the server
with hot swappable hard drives and use them as tape replacement?

It's been a while since I last used Bacula so your help is appreciated.

Thanks

-- Peter