Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Manage disk space used by Bacula

2013-03-08 06:02:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Manage disk space used by Bacula
From: Geert Stappers <Geert.Stappers AT vanadgroup DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 11:59:51 +0100
Op 2013-03-07 om 22:53 schreef artakami:
> Hi
> I am currently using Bacula 5.2.12 and I am having problem with controlling
> disk space.
> It seems like bacula does not overwrite old data in backup files until it
> fills up whole disk space.
>
> I would like to know if anybody else had/having same problem

Yes of course does the same problem occure,
after all it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_september

>  and how did they get over it?

Take some time to read this e-mail.

Bacula can write backup data to both tape and disk.
There is much shared programming code in writing to tape and disk.
That is made possible due a tape cardridge equivalent
for disk backup named "Volume".

Where the original poster speaks about "backup files",
shoud it be "Volumes" and should think tape cardridges.

Having multiple Volumes  ( "tapes" ) is important.
Setting the Volume size ( tape size ) is done
with 'Maximum Volume Size ='. So "slice" the disk with Volumes.

Next thing is telling Bacula how long it should keep
content on a volume.

Having a full backupdisk is now not a problem anymore.
(In fact it is good to have backupdisk full with volumes.)

Having not enough volumes ( having not enough virtual tapes )
is a problem. Solution can be either more disk space for more volumes
( buy more "tapes" ), or re-use a volume (a tape) quicker.

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--
http://www.vanadcimplicity.com/