Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Corrupted catalog on bad drive - please help!

2013-02-21 03:46:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Corrupted catalog on bad drive - please help!
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 09:44:05 +0100
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 09:50:14AM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> > Also make sure you have the innodb_tables_as_files option set,
> > otherwise you db will be one huge unmanageable blob that can't be
> > reduced in size after a while by dumping / importing again.
>
> Whoa there, Nellie.  Make sure you understand the implications of doing
> that before you do it.
>
> Pros for innodb_file_per_table:
> — You can reclaim the space used by an InnoDB table if you drop the
> table (but only if you drop it altogether).
>
> Cons for innodb_file_per_table:
> - Increases total MySQL disk consumption
> - Increases MySQL memory consumption
> - Increases the number of files MySQL has to hold open
> - Impairs MySQL's ability to reuse free space in the InnoDB tablespace
> - Contrary to popular belief, NOT separately portable

Hi Phil,

thanks for listing the cons, I wasn't aware of the less obvious ones.

What strategy would you suggest to "shrink" an innodb-based DB short
of dumping, dropping and re-importing it? I feel more comfortable with
the file-base approach probably because it resembles the dearly loved
MyISAM behaviour ;)

Can you put a number on the increased memory consumption?

All the best, Uwe

--

NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA